Thursday 29 January 2009

ON THE ROCKS



For some while I have wanted to do a series of paintings based on a geological theme. I came across some images on the web which gave me the idea of treating the subject in an abstract way, looking in particular at cross sections through agate. An example of such images is shown here.





So far I have started on two paintings. The first has been done on an 8" by 10" box canvas. Broad layers of acrylic were painted onto the canvas. I then glued a sheet of Lutradur* (see below for more information on Lutradur) which I had distressed using a heat gun. I added more paint adding some detail. This picture is not finished but I got to a point where I was uncertain where to go next and did not want to add anything for the sake of it. At present, the canvas is standing on my desk where I can look at it and try to work out what I need to do next.



The second
painting is actually done on 4 individual canvases each 3" x 3". My inspiration came from this picture and I did most of the painting on the 4 canvases taped together. Once I had painted the blue background with acrylic paint and glued and painted the raffia using gold and bronze acrylic paint I separated the canvases and did some more work on them individually. Again, these are not yet finished (at least I do not think they are) and like the first canvas I have them displayed on my desk on little easels.

















*Lutradur

A non-woven spun polyester fabric that can be used for many effects. Its surface takes colour well, cuts easily without fraying (like paper) and can be layered. Colour can be applied by painting, stencilling, printing etc. Bursts of heat can be applied with a heat-gun to create distressed effects. The fibres melt away to look as though the surface has been attacked by the rigours of time.

No comments: