Sunday 7 June 2009

New work

Some while ago I cam across this photo on the internet and something about it grabbed me and told me that I should recreate it as a pencil drawing.

2288882167_be747bd35a_okj

That was about 6 months ago. I have now started work on it and the results are show below. It is about A4 size and is quite a challenge, not least the hair and wrinkles….but the satisfaction of working on it and seeing it come alive on the page.

oldlady

 

I find working with pencil, especially with graphite where you are just concerned with tones, extremely satisfying and relaxing. I guess it requires a degree of patience, gradually building up the tones but, equally, because it requires a degree of concentration, it puts all other concerns from your mind, albeit temporarily. And sometimes that is all you need to refresh your mind.

I will publish updates on my progress as and when.

No comments: